Sunday, October 16, 2005

Part Sixty-Four

Friday, October 14

Peggy took the early ferry into town. She had been busy the entire week, dividing her work hours between home and office. Her schedule had been erratic, but the project was fascinating: she was collecting research results from three different ocean monitoring teams that were involved in a detailed study of water temperatures. She had deadlines, and an impatient boss. She had spent hours on the phone with people in far off time zones. But it was okay, it took her mind off everything else.

As she boarded the 5:20 boat and made her way to her usual seat she saw that her regular commuting buddies were all there.

"Look what the cat dragged in," said Florence, sitting next to Luke, who looked well-dressed and clueless.

"Morning, Peggy," said Kelly.

Luke waved. Paula, sitting across from Luke, moved over to make room for Peggy. "Good morning," Paula said.

"Hello to everyone," said Peggy. She was certain she knew what they were all thinking: that Peggy had been sequestered away in a little love nest with Raoul all week, staring dreamily into his eyes by a crackling fire. She felt the urge to straighten them out at once; 'I've been working!' she wanted to say emphatically.

The truth was that she had not spoken to Raoul, not since her failed bid to get him to support the club she wanted to organize. She was a bit piqued over that, but then she decided to leave him alone and let him come around at his own pace. In general, she wanted to avoid the subject of Raoul.

"How's Raoul these days?" said Florence, not wasting a moment. Her legs were crossed to allow one bare knee to peek out from beneath her long raincoat. Luke, who had displayed some hope of having an original personality when he was seeing Paula, was now reduced to his former preoccupation with Florence's short skirts.

"Raoul is bored out of his mind," said Peggy.

"Poor thing," said Florence. "He must be pining away for, um, someone."

"Surely he's doing something," said Kelly. "The man has more hobbies than should be allowed for one person."

"He has too many hobbies. They're all about him, if you get right down to it," said Peggy.

"Ooh, I'm so glad you joined us today, Peggy," said Florence, her face lit up. "We want to hear all about it."

Peggy had always been astonished at Florence's appetite for bad news about other people's relationships. She wondered if Luke knew that Florence would abandon him like an unfinished steak at a restaurant if Raoul were suddenly "on the market."

"There's nothing to tell," said Peggy. "I've been working like a maniac all week and I have not even spoken to Raoul since last weekend. I was only joking when I said he was bored. For all I know he's having a ball."

Paula looked at Peggy. Her expression said, 'Ignore her.' Paula seemed exceptionally wise for someone so young. It made Peggy feel old and unfocused. But she was focused. She was sure of it.

"I left two messages and he hasn't returned my calls," said Kelly.

"Really?" said Peggy.

Kelly looked embarrassed. "I, uh, lost Xena's phone number, and I never did catch her last name."

"I called there, too," said Paula. "When I didn't see you on the ferry I called your house, and when you didn't answer I called Raoul's."

"And there was no answer?" asked Peggy. All thoughts of Florence flew from her mind.

Paula shook her head.

Peggy looked at her watch. Almost six. "Excuse me. He'll probably hate me for this but I've got to know if he's okay." She removed her cell phone from her purse and walked down the passageway. It rang and rang, then his voice mail answered. Peggy left a brief message.

She returned to her seat, very silent. Kelly was talking about the gas tax, a popular topic of conversation in Seattle these days.

"People can be incredibly short-sighted when it comes to funding public projects," he said. "This business of so-called 'tax relief' is really a fraud. You pay a price for it. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but eventually you pay a much bigger price than the few dollars in tax savings."

"Kelly, I've got to tell you about the club I'm trying to start," Peggy said. She was performing an amazing feat: words came out of her mouth that bore no relationship to the thoughts in her head. Where was Raoul?

"A club?" said Florence.

"I want to change people's attitudes about how we invest our resources. There's this wave of sentiment against long-term infrastructure projects." Is he ill? Is he hurt?

Peggy had no idea what she said next. People spoke, she replied mechanically.

The ferry docked on schedule. Peggy collected her things. The group said their customary good-byes. Peggy followed Paula across the pedestrian ramp to the terminal. She walked in silence. Thinking. At the end of the terminal, at the point where she would ordinarily continue over the foot bridge that led to 1st Avenue, she stopped.

Paula must have sensed it, because she stopped and turned. "Are you okay?"

"No. I'm worried sick. Actually, are you okay?"

"About what?" said Paula.

"Luke and Florence."

She dismissed him with a glance. "I have to work with him, so I'm being sociable. Beyond that, he really wasn't all that interesting. He's the male version of eye candy."

Peggy laughed. Then, without thinking, she hugged Paula. "I'm proud of you," Peggy said.

"Now it's my turn to ask. What are you going to do?"

Peggy pointed at the ferry. "I'm getting right back on that boat."

Paula's eyes widened.

"Yes. I've got to check on him. My stomach is tied up in knots. If I don't go I'll spend all day being sick about it."

"Do you want me to come with you?"

"Thanks. But I'll manage."

Now Paula hugged Peggy. "Good luck. Call me when you hear something."

They parted, and Peggy got back on the ferry to return to Bainbridge Island.

TO BE CONTINUED

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home