Thursday, September 15, 2005

Part Fifty-Seven

"Shouldn't we be having a going away party?" said Luke.

"We are having a going away party," said Peggy. "I brought scones and tea for everyone."

There was a chorus of oohs as Peggy opened a bag and began to pass out currant scones. Then she passed around paper cups and poured tea from two large Thermos bottles.

"These are perfectly shaped," said Paula.

"Wow. They taste just like the ones you get at the bakery," said Florence.

"Mmm, excellent," said Raoul. "Now I know why you insisted on going home yesterday."

"What's the occasion?" asked Ferdinand, the jazz drummer, who had just returned after a week at a workshop in Los Angeles.

"This is Raoul's last day of regular commuting on the ferry," said Peggy.

"Last day?" said Ferdinand. "Things happen fast around here."

"Actually it's been in the works ever since our Washington, D.C., trip," said Raoul. "I decided then to leave my law firm and go into private practice. For the past month it's been a matter of formally giving notice and making plans for what to do next."

"I expected you to change your mind," said Florence while taking tiny bites of her scone.

"I came close a couple of times," said Raoul. "But after this latest trip to New Orleans with my sister, and reading about all the displacement and upheaval that has happened down there, I feel like I need to make the most of the time I have available. I know that sounds gloomy, but I really want to do something fun. I've always wanted to do work for arts-related nonprofits. Now I'm doing it."

"Congratulations," said Kelly.

"You have my vote," said Ferdinand.

"Are you going to work out of your house?" asked Luke.

"Yep. I'm going to 'hang out a shingle,' as they say in my profession."

"Hmm. I'll bet I know somebody who's not too far behind," said Florence looking at Peggy.

But Peggy was ready. "I like my job. In fact, I'm getting promoted, I just learned yesterday. We're suddenly alarmed about the environment ever since the Gulf Coast disaster. Have you read about the oil leaking from storage tanks in Louisiana? There's one neighborhood, near Chalmette, I think, that may be unlivable for decades because so much oil has oozed in among the houses."

Kelly shook his head. "What I can't help wondering is to what extent was it avoidable? Were those tanks storm-proof? Were they inspected? I would love to know that."

"That's exactly the kind of thing my organization is going to look at," said Peggy. "And we'll need good lawyers on our side," she added, looking at Raoul.

"Hey, somebody has to support the arts," said Raoul. "We can't spend all of our collective efforts worrying about disasters and terrorist attacks."

"Bravo," said Ferdinand. "Can I have another scone?"

"Of course," said Peggy.

The previous afternoon, Peggy had told Raoul that she needed to go back to her place to do some baking. He didn't ask questions when she took all of her things with her from his house, saying she needed to 'get organized and do some laundry.' But, in fact, she knew she wanted to regroup and collect her thoughts. There was something in her nature that said, 'Take a giant step back; go to higher ground, so to speak, so you can see where you are going.' It so happened that at work that same afternoon her boss had offered her a new position overseeing a large environmental research program. She realized, with a shock, that she felt excitement at the thought of it. 'I'm still into this,' she thought.

"Are we still having a party this weekend?" asked Florence.

"Yes," said Peggy. "And you are going to learn to make shrimp stew."

"You have your work cut out for you," said Florence with a wink.

How true, thought Peggy.

2 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh- just when we thought there was hope for the two of them!

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would not give up hope. I would however like the recipe for shrimp stew please.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home