Friday, June 10, 2005

Part Fifteen

"This is my last day of commuting on Friday," Peggy said to Raoul.

Raoul yawned.

"My thoughts exactly," said Peggy. After several weeks of commuting on the 5:20 a.m. ferry she had noticed that she was exhausted by the end of the week, and as a result she slept later than she wanted to on Saturday mornings.

"Going to a four-day work week?" asked Raoul.

"In theory it'll be a four day week, but I'm sure I'll end up doing work at home on Fridays. My office is so busy right now."

Raoul grinned. "Whenever the environmentalists get busy, the lawyers get busy, too."

Peggy laughed. "I'll see you in court."

They looked out at a fine mist that settled over Puget Sound. It was one of those days that could be hazy or clear or cloudy. "Even after years of doing this, the early wake ups tend to make me sleepy by the end of the week," he said.

"I'm still trying to get used to it, without much success." She sipped her tea. "Have you thought of retiring early?"

"Oh sure. I'd love to, but I'm committed to seeing a few projects through. Then I plan to play music and tend my garden."

"Tell me about your garden," Peggy said. "I imagine it to be well established, with mature rhododendrons, and tall flowering clematis."

"Right on both counts. Lot's of things are in bloom at the moment: lavender, bellflower, peonies…" He stopped.

"Yes?"

"It just occurred to me that perhaps you'd enjoy seeing my garden. It's really quite nice."

"I would love to. I need some social contact on the island."

"In that case I will invite over a few neighbors. I could probably get Ted to bring his lute."

Peggy was thrilled, and a little bit afraid. She was actually going to his house. It would be more than a casual visit, no matter how much she tried to pretend otherwise. She liked Raoul, and it worried her.

"I'm free all weekend," she said.

"Let's try for Saturday afternoon," he said.

She looked at him and smiled warmly. "Thanks. I can't wait."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home